This page contains links to past events organized by Astronomy Ireland recently and in the past:
- 'Geminid and Supermoon Watch' on Tuesday 13th December. Nationwide Meteor Count for all!!
- Dec 12th "Where next after Rosetta?" By Dr Colin Snodgrass Open University
- Supermoon Watch November 14th
- Mayo Science & Technology Festival "The Universe" A presentation by David Moore of Astronomy Ireland
- Telescope Watch for Science Week Report
November 16th at AI Headquarters - Moon, Mars and much more!
- Supermoon Watch November 14th after Einstein's Theory of Relativity lecture
- Einstein's Theory of Relativity By Dr Cormac O'Raifeartaigh, WIT Nov. 14th
- Science Week 2016 Astronomy Ireland are running lots of events for Science Week November13th - 20th.
- "The Cosmic Chemical Cauldron"by Dr. Helen Fraser, Open University Oct. 10th.
- Saturn's amazing rings Sept.29 Watch
- "Blow up a Star and find Dark Energy" September 19th by Dr. Cosimo Inserra
- "Star-B-Q" - Saturday August 27th
- Perseid Meteor Shower - Nationwide Watch August 4th to 19th
- "The World in Eleven Dimensions" 8th August by Professor Michael Duff (Imperial College London).
- "Neptune, Triton and the Outer Solar System" By Dr Craig Agnor, Queen Mary Univ. London
- Juno, Jupiter and Mars Watch July 8th at Astronomy Ireland Headquarters
- The Universe David Moore's one man show comes to Waterford June 23rd Book Now!
- National Mars Watch June 18th at Astronomy Ireland Headquarters.
- "The Universe invisible to the naked eye"
by Dr. Masha Chernyakova, Russia and Geneva June13th
- "GIANT IMAGES FROM SPACE" By Kevin Nolan of the Planetary Society Monday May 16th
- Transit of Mercury Public Watch at AI Headquarters Monday May 9th.
- National Aquarid Watch The 5th May.
- "Venus Exploration: past, present and future " April 11th by Dr Colin Wilson, University of Oxford.
- Public Moon and Jupiter Watch Monday March 21st at AI HQ.
- "Major Radio Telescope for Ireland"Monday March 14th: By Prof. Peter Gallagher(TCD)
- David Moore's One Man Show: "The Universe" February 25th in the Riverbank, Newbridge Co. Kildare.
- Moon and Jupiter Watch 23rd February
- David Moore's One Man Show: "The Universe" Ennis - Thursday Feb. 18th in Glór Theatre
- Comet, Orion, Uranus and Pleiades Watch January 28th.
- "The Universe" Public Lecture Tour January 22nd in the Hawkswell Sligo by David Moore, Chairman of Astronomy Ireland.
- "The Beauty and Science of Nebulae" New Year Lecture on January 18th by Carolin Crawford of University of Cambridge
- Christmas Telescope Workshop and Uranus and Moon Watch January 15th
- January 05 ISS Operations and Tim Peake's Mission by Andrea Boyd ISS Engineer
- 30th September Jupiter Watch Report
- 4th September Star-B-Q
- 9th August "Our Extreme Universe:
Ireland's Role in Gamma-Ray Astronomy"
By Dr John Quinn, School of Physics, UCD.
- 24th July Sun Watch Report
- 12th July "Saturn and the Cassini-Huygens mission"
By Dr. Caitriona Jackman, Space and Atmospheric Physics, Imperial College London.
- 10th July Saturn Watch
- 14th June "Black Holes, The LHC & The God Particle"
by Dr. Cormac O'Raifeartaigh, Waterford Institute of Technology.
- 10th May "Studying Winds from Red Giants with HST and FUSE" by Dr Brian Espey, TCD.
- 22nd April Mars, Moon and Saturn Watch
- 12th April "Mercury - New Insights"Dr. David Rothery, Open University.
- 25th March Mars Watch Report
- 8th March
Kevin Nolan, DIT
- 8th February
"Living With A Star" Dr Chris Davis, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (UK)
- 25th January 400 Years of the Telescope
Professor Allan Chapman of Wadham College, Oxford
Christmas Lecture December 8th "Living in the Sun's Atmosphere"
By well known TV personality Dr. Lucie Green, of Mullard Space Science Laboratory, U.K. and presenter of BBC's 'Stardate' program.
December 1st Moon Venus Occultation - images HERE
Saturday November 29 WORLD PREMIERE "MARS" HERE
Nov. 20th Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic Event took place in the Science Gallery with Bill Cullen and Stephen Attenborough. Pictures and Report HERE
November 10th "Smoking Stars" by Dr Simon Jeffery of Armagh Observatory
Saturday November 8th Astro-Expo 2008 Report
Astronomy Ireland's David Grennan discovers asteroid - the second discovered from Ireland in just two weeks HERE
Catch the Astronomy Ireland Radio Show with Mikey Graham of Boyzone on Tuesday evening 21 October HERE
October 7th New Irish Asteroid discovered by Dave McDonald, in his observatory in Celbridge, Dublin. HERE
Monday October 13 "Searching for stars around other planets from Ireland" by Greg Hallinan HERE
- On Wednesday, September 10th, the LHC in CERN was switched on. HERE
- September 8 Public Lecture "Light Pollution in Ireland" by Albert White of Ilpac
- Star-B-Q Saturday August 30th Report and images HERE
- On the 16 August Astronomy Ireland set up telescopes countrywide to view the partial Lunar Eclipse which was visible all over Europe.
- August 11 "The key to understanding the Universe" by Professor Michael Rowan Robinson, President of the Royal Astronomical Society. Get this amazing Lecture on DVD HERE
- Perseid Meteor Shower 11th/12th/13th August -Astronomy Ireland is asking everyone to contribute to a scientific count of this years Perseid display. See HERE for details on how YOU can contribute to science.
September 8 Public Lecture "Light Pollution in Ireland" by Albert White of Ilpac
August 1st Solar Eclipse - REPORT HERE .
- July 14 Dublin and July 15 Cork "The History of Astronomy" by Heather Couper and Nigel Henbest
- NASA discovers ice on Mars HERE
- Monday May 26th: Phoenix Lands Safely on Mars!
- May 16th at 8pm FREE Public Lecture. NASA ASTRONAUT IN LIMERICK
- 15 May ESA Astronaut Dr. Gerhard Thiele paid a visit to Astronomy Ireland to be interviewed for our Magazine and Radio Show about ESA's search for an Astronaut. RTE television News dropped in too. Report and pictures here...
- 12 May Public Lecture "Engaging youth: An Astronomical Journey in 3D" by Robert Hill of the Northern Ireland Space Office in Armagh Planetarium .
- May 1 Thursday Telescope Night in Phoenix Park, Dublin Pictures and Report ...
- 15 April Nationwide Public Saturn Watches in various locations throughout Ireland. Report
- 14 April Public Lecture "Searching for Dark Matter and Mini Black Holes" by Dr. Brian Cox, ex pop group D-ream, University of Manchester and CERN, Geneva
- March 31: Public Lecture "Adventures with the Hubble Telescope" by Lars Lindberg Christiansen ESA/Hubble.
- March 29 Earth Hour Telescope Night report...
- March 12: Moon Watches Nationwide report.... .
- March 10: Public Lecture - "Shooting the Eclipse with Patrick Moore" by Carl O'Beirnes and David Grennan who were recently on the BBC Sky At Night programme with Patrick Moore imaging the lunar eclipse .
- February 21 Total Eclipse of Moon - Last good one until 2015 REPORT
- February 11: Public Lecture - "LISA - Gravitational Wave Mission" By Dr Harry Ward, Institute for Gravitational Research, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- January 30: Evening Classes
- January 26: Galway Festival
- January 23: Nationwide Mars watches ( Report )
- January 14: Public Lecture - "Interpreting Meteorites: a paradigm shift" By Dr. Ian Sanders, Trinity College Dublin
- January 10-12: Young Scientists Exhibiton.
Events 2007 (Calendar list of events)
- December 14: Nationwide Mars and Geminid Watches.
- December 10: Public Lecture - "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" By Dr. Tim O'Brien, Jodrell Bank Observatory, UK.
- 28ú Mí na Samhna "Na réaltaí agus an Spéir san Oíche" le Eamonn O'Fearcháin.
- November 25: Astro-Expo
- November 24: Day trip to Armagh Planetarium
- November 14: Public lecture in Athlone: "The Big Bang" by Dave McCann
- It is with great sadness and shock that we have learned that Astronomy Ireland's Space Flight correspondent Colm J. Cannon has passed away here
- November 13: Nationwide Uranus and Comet Holmes watches REPORT
- November 12: Public Lecture - "Near Earth Asteroids" By Dr. Neil McBride, Planetary and Space Sciences Research Institute, Open University, UK. in association with Discover Science and Engineering.
- November 5,6,7: Public lecture in Galway, Cork, Dundalk: "The Day the Sun Attacked the Earth" by renowned writer Stuart Clark.
- C/2007 F 1 Loneos comet HERE
- October 11: Astronomy Evening Classes
- October 8: Public Lecture - "Extrasolar Planets and the hunt for life in the Universe" By Dr. Ian Stevens, University of Birmingham, Uk. in association with Discover Science and Engineering.
- September 10: Public Lecture - "Supernovae - hunting exploding stars" By Professor Stephen Smartt, Queens University, Belfast in association with Discover Science and Engineering
- September 8: Star-B-Q
- August 13: Public Lecture - "Building a Universe Byte by Byte" By Prof Brad Gibson, Theoretical Astrophysics, University Central Lancashire
- July 9: Public Lecture - "The Birth of Stars and Planets" By Dr Emma Whelan of the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS)
- June 11: Public Lecture - "The Heliosphere-Living inside the Sun's Atmosphere" By Dr. Peter Gallagher, Trinity College Dublin
- May 14: Public Lecture - "Digital Deep Sky Astrophotography" By Dave Grennan and Jed Glover
- May 5: Star-B-Q
- April 24: Astronomy Ireland Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of "The Sky at Night" with Sir Patrick Moore OBE. Report
- April 16: Public Lecture - "Black holes: observation, theory and geometry" By Dr. Oisin MacConamhna
- March 12: Public Lecture - "Bang" By Dr. Chris Lintott of BBC's Sky at Night programme
- March 3: Nationwide Lunar Eclipse Watch. Details
- February 12: Public Lecture - "The Universe- A Biography" By Dr. John Gribbin, Sussex University, UK
- January 31: Beginner's Astronomy Evening Classes Trinity College
- January 9-13: BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition
- January 8: Public Lecture - "Black Holes and White Rabbits" By Professor John Brown, Astronomer Royal for Scotland
- December 13: Countrywide Geminid Watches
- December 11: Christmas Lecture, Trinity College, " Women in Astronomy " by Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell of Oxford University.
- December 10: "The Solar System, A Guided Tour" by Colm J. Cannon - 3.00pm in the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, Phoenix Park
- December 2: Hundreds attend Astro-Expo 2006 Ireland's Biggest Astronomy and Space Exhibition which was opened by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Councillor Vincent Jackson.
- November 28: Uranus-Moon Watch and Telescope Show Report
- November 17: Leonid Meteor Shower to put on an extra special display. Read more
- November 13: Public Lecture, Schrodinger Theatre, TCD. " Blackrock Castle Robotic Observatory " by Dr. Niall Smith of CIT
- November 9,10,11,12: Stand at Toys 4 Big Boys in the RDS
- November 1: Hundreds attend Moon and Comet SWAN Watches Nationwide
- October 20: Public Lecture, Schrodinger Theatre, TCD. As part of Maths Week " Mathematics, the Stars and Black Holes " by Dr. Peter Duffy.
- October 12: Astronomy classes
- October 9: Public Lecture Trinity College "Mars - our Origin and Destiny" By Kevin Nolan of the Planetary Society.
- September 14: Cork Branch Meeting - Guest Speaker John McCarthy Topic: "Launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis" More
- September 11: Major Public Lecture, Trinity College, " Current European Space Exploration ", by Professor David Southwood, Science Director of the European Space Agency.
- September 7: Partial Lunar Eclipse visible at 7:49pm More
- August 26: Star-B-Q . Nearly 400 people enjoy Ireland's greatest gathering of enthusiasts. Report
- August 14: Public Lecture: "Celestial Mechanics" By Patrick Browne of NUI Galway.
- August 12/13: Perseid Meteor Shower more info
- November 19-20: Astro-Expo - Ireland's biggest FREE Astronomy and Space Exhibition took place in DCU Report
- November 4 : Mars Watches countrywide; Plus Live webcast in association with Vodafone 3G. Report Here
- October 3: Nationwide Solar Eclipse Watches Report and see our Eclipse Page for details on how to observe this special event
- August 26: Star-B-Q . Report
- August 14: Public Lecture " Celestial Mechanics ", by Patrick Browne of NUI Galway.
- July 10: Public Lecture " Astronomical Imaging with a CCD Camera ", by Kevin Sweeney.
- July 4: Comet Crash Watch reports Nationwide - Deep Impact
- June 12: Public Lecture " Adaptive Optics " by Professor Chris Dainty of NUI Galway.
- June 1: Astronomy Ireland Chairman, David Moore , was on RTE 2 television to explain why anyone in Ireland thinking of going to university really must be thinking of taking a degree in astronomy or nothing at all!
- May 8: Public Lecture " Archaeoastronomical Discoveries " by Paul Griffin.
- April 28: Star-B-Q - 170 people enjoyed a fantastic night in Roundwood with talks, displays, viewing and of course food. Read More
- April 10: Public lecture - " Star Death: Cosmic Pollution and Cosmic Recycling
- March 29: Total Eclipse Trip 2006 Turkey - Incredible, fantastic, emotional!!! - some of the superlatives used for one of the most amazing sights in nature. Full report and pictures of the event
- March 29: Partial Eclipse of Sun visible from Ireland - details here
- March 14: Penumbral Eclipse
- March 13: Public lecture - " The Hunt for Extrasolar Planets in Globular Clusters ". By Dr. Ray Butler, Dept. Physics, NUI Galway.
- February 27: " Solar Eclipses - Past, Present and Future " (a must for anyone thinking of going to Turkey for the Eclipse Trip ). By David Grennan.
- February 13: " Black Holes: Newton watches Andromeda with X-ray eyes " by Dr. Ulrich Kolb, Open University, U.K.
- January 12, 13, 14: BT Young Scientists Exhibition in the RDS, visit Astronomy Ireland stand there.
- January 12: New year lecture: " The Big Bang " by Dr. Simon Singh in Trinity College
- January 9: New year lecture:; " Challenger and Columbia " by Colm J. Cannon
Events 2004 (calendar list of events)
Events 2003 (Calendar list of events)